Main Page Dynamic Development
The Foundations of Developmental
From Sperm and Egg to Embryo
Genetic Regulation of Development
Organizing the Multicellular
Generating Cell Diversity
Dynamic Development at a
The Developmental Biology Journal
Developmental Biology Tutorial
How does an oocyte become an egg?
- Review hormonal interactions in mammals and frogs.
- What is unusual about the mechanism of action of progesterone in promoting
- How did Yoshio Masui demonstrate the presence of maturation promotion
factor and cytostatic factor?
- What is MPF, and how was its identity determined?
- What is CSF, and how was its identity determined?
- Review the interactions among p34, cyclin and c-MOS
- What effect does alpha- amanitin have on progesterone-induced amphibian
oocyte maturation? Why?
de Vantéry, C., Stutz, A., Vassalli, J.D. and Schorderet-Slatkine,
S. 1997. Acquisition of meiotic competence in growing mouse oocytes is controlled
at both translational and posttranslational levels. Develop. Biol. 187:
Kume, S., Yamamoto, A., Inoue, T., Muto, A., Okano, H. and Mikoshiba, K.
1997. Developmental expression of the inositol 1,4,5-triphosphate receptor
and structural changes in the endoplasmic reticulum during oogenesis and
meiotic maturation of Xenopus laevis. Develop. Biol. 182: 228-239.
Thibier, C., De Smedt, V., Poulhe, R., Huchon, D., Jessus, C. and Ozon,
R. 1997. In vivo regulation of cytostatic activity in Xenopus
metaphase II-arrested oocytes. Develop. Biol. 185: 55-66.
Browder, L.W., Erickson, C.A. and Jeffery, W.R. 1991. Developmental
Biology. Third edition. Saunders College Pub. Philadelphia.