Aesop Prize - Criteria for Nomination
Children's Folklore Section of the American Folklore Soclety
- The use of folklore should be central to the book's contents and, if appropriate, to its illustrations.
- The folklore, as presented in the book, should accurately present or reflect the cultural worldview of the people whose folklore is the focus of the book.
- The reader's understanding of the folklore should be enhanced by its appearance in the book, as should the book be enriched by the presence of the folklore.
- The book should reflect the high artistic standards of the best of children's literature and have strong appeal for the child reader.
- Folklore sources should be fully acknowledged, and annotations referenced within the bound contents of the publication.
Back to the Children's Literature Awards Page
Saturday, November 2, 1996
Copyright © 1994-96 David K. Brown. All rights reserved
Literature Web Guide