Teachers' Choices for 1995
International Reading Association.
Outstanding U.S. trade books for children and adolescents that teachers find to be exceptional in curriculum use. An annotated version of this list will appear in the November 1995 issue of The Reading Teacher.
Primary (Grades K-2)
- All the Places to Love. Patricia MacLachlan. Paintings,
Mike Wimmer. HarperCollins.
- Dance of the Sacred Circle: A Native American Tale.
Kristina Rodanas. Little, Brown.
- Grandad Bill's Song. Jane Yolen. Illustrated by Melissa
Bay Mathis. Philomel.
- John Henry. Julius Lester. Pictures by Jerry Pinkney.
- Journey to Freedom: A Story of the Underground Railroad.
Courtni C. Wright. Illustrated by Gershom Griffith. Holiday House.
- Only Opal: The Diary of a Young Girl. Selected by Jane
Boulton. Illustrated by Barbara Cooney. Philomel Books.
- Our People. Angela Shelf Medearis. Illustrated by Michael
Intermediate (Grades 3- 5)
- The Always Prayer Shawl. Sheldon Oberman. Illustrated
by Ted Lewin. Boyds Mills Press.
- Around the World in a Hundred Years: From Henry the Navigator
to Magellan. Jean Fritz. Illustrated by Anthony Bacon Venti.
- The Barn. Avi. Orchard Books.
- Celebrate America in Poetry and Art. Edited by Nora
- Christmas in the Big House, Christmas in the Quarters.
Patricia C. McKissack and Fredrick L. McKissack. Illustrated by
John Thompson. Scholastic.
- Dear Levi: Letters from the Overland Trail. Elvira
Woodruff. Illustrated by Beth Peck. Knopf.
- Misoso: Once Upon a Time Tales Irom Africa. Retold
by Verna Aardema. Illustrated by Reynold Ruffins. AppleSoup/Knopf.
- My Painted House, My Friendly Chicken, and Me. Maya
Angelou. Photographs by Margaret Courtney-Clarke. Potter.
- Paint and Painting. Scholastic.
- Stranded at Plimoth Plantation, 1626. Gary Bowen. HarperCollins.
- The Third Planet: Exploring the Earth from Space. Sally
Ride and Tam O'Shaughnessy. Crown.
Advanced (Grades 6-8)
- Catherine, Called Birdy. Karen Cushman. Clarion.
- The Dream Keeper and Other Poems. Langston Hughes.
Illustrated by Brian Pinkney. Knopf.
- Earthshine: A Novel. Theresa Nelson. Orchard Books.
- Hiding to Survive: Stories of Jewish Children Rescued from
the Holocaust. Maxine B. Rosenberg. Clarion.
- Julie. Jean Craighead George. Illustrated by Wendell
- Lives of the Writers: Comedies Tragedies (and what the
neighbors thought). Written by Kathleen Krull. Illustrated
by Kathryn Hewitt. Harcourt Brace.
- Phoenix Rising. Karen Hesse. Henry Holt.
- Take a Look: An Introduction to the Experience of Art.
Rosemary Davidson. Viking.
- Tell Them We Remember: The Story of the Holocaust.
Susan D. Bachrach. Little, Brown.
- Under the Blood-Red Sun. Graham Salisbury. Delacorte.
- Wilma Mankiller. Caroline Lazo. Dillon Press.
- With Every Drop of Blood. James Lincoln Collier and
Christopher Collier. Delacorte.
| Lots of Lists
| Children's Literature Web Guide
Converted to HTML May 25, 1995 by David K. Brown (email@example.com)