Children's Literature - Electronic Journals and Book Reviews
indicates an Internet resource that in my opinion is particularly valuable.
- Aaron's Book Review
- Aaron is about eight, and writes reviews of the books he's read. There's a new review each month.
- A magazine-style children's book site from the U.K. Absolutlely top-notch news and reviews, and some excellent profiles and interviews with writers.
- The ALAN Review
- One of the leading print journals in Young Adult Literature, now also available on the Web.
- Includes starred reviews from recent issues of the respected reviewing journal, as well as some feature articles. Check it out!
- Book Nook
- A place for book reviews written by young people. Contribute your own, or read what other kids think.
- The Boston Book Review Children's Corner
- Children's book reviews from recent issues of the print journal.
- The Bulletin of the Centre for Children's Books
- This website from one of the major US children's book review journals is updated monthly with excerpts from the magazine, and online features including the Bulletin Dozen (a theme-based list of titles).
- Canadian Children's Literature
- A bilingual journal of criticism and review covering Canadian books and other media for children and young adults. The Web site lists tables of contents for recent issues, and an index of books reviewed.
- Canadian Children's Literature (Canadian Book Review Annual)
- An annual print publication that reviews all English-language, Canadian-authored childrens' books and young adult books published in Canada each year. Its Web site features different sample reviews each month.
- Brief reviews (blurbs, actually) of recent children's books. It is one
of five monthly newsletters published by Midwest Book
- Children's Literature: A Newsletter for Adults
- A print newsletter, sold by subscription. Sample reviews and subject lists are available here.
- The Children's Reader
- An annual review of children's literature published by Duthie Books in Vancouver, B.C.
- CM: Canadian Review of Materials
- A Canadian electronic reviewing journal of materials for children and young adults.
- Connections: Children's Book News For Parents and Teachers
- A newsletter from Book-A-Fair in Vacaville, California.
- The Hungry Mind
Review, Children's Book Section
- Includes insightful articles and review essays.
- The Lion and the Unicorn
- A leading scholarly journal of children's literature. This sample online issue is available free of charge. Other issues from Volume 19 (1995) forward are available to subscribers of Project Muse.
- The Looking Glass
- An excellent online-only children's literature journal, featuring scholarly as well as more practical articles about children's books. There's even an acrostic puzzle each issue!
- Marvels & Tales: Journal of Fairy-Tale Studies
- Includes indexes to back issuses as well as tables of contents and abstracts for recent issues.
- The Mining Company's Guide to Children's Books
- An excellent resource, with regularly updated features, reviews, and links to other Internet resources.
- Multicultural Book Review Homepage
- Submit reviews, and read reviews others have submitted.
- Native American Books
- Reviews from a Native American perspective. In addition to children's books, the page reviews adult-level material and useful material in other media.
- Notes from the Windowsill
- An electronic journal of book reviews, published by Wendy Betts. For information on obtaining an e-mail subscription to this journal, see the information about the KIDSBOOKS Mailing List, elsewhere in these pages.
- Oppenheim Toy Portfolio
- The electronic edition of a quarterly review of children's books, toys, videos, audiotapes, and software.
- Parents' Choice
- Excerpts from the print journal seem to appear sporadically on the Family Planet site. Issue 1 (Spring/Summer 1995) includes an article about Maurice Sendak. Another issue includes thorough information about the winners of the 1995 Parents' Choice awards for books and other media.
- Reading Online
- An electronic journal from the International Reading Association.
- Riverbank Review of Books for Young Readers
- A new print journal edited by Martha Davis Beck, formerly of Hungry Mind Review
- The Scoop: Children's Books Online
- A good source of reviews and book news.
- Signal: Approaches to Children's Books
- Information about the fine British journal, and its publisher Thimble Press, is available on a website maintained by the Institute for English Studies in Leipzig.
- Viewpoint: On Books for Young Adults
- A journal out of Australia provides excerpts of its articles online.
Friday, December 11, 1998
Copyright 1994-98 David K. Brown. All rights reserved
The Children's Literature Web Guide