The Expansion of
The Result: Within a few centuries, Christianity had become a serious
candidate for the Official Religion of the Roman Empire.
- Decline of Paganism:
- Criticized by philosophers.
- Discredited by introduction of Emperor Worship
- Immoral Mythologies.
- Advantages of Christianity:
- Offered means of salvation.
- People could identify with the story of Jesus.
- Offered a wholesome morality.
- Christians made a positive impression on their neighbours, especially through
their readiness to sacrifice their lives as martyrs under conditions of
Click here to return to the Christianity Notes Index.