Whose opinions are represented in lines #ii and #iii
- FROM WHAT TIME MAY ONE RECITE THE SHEMA' IN THE EVENING?
- --FROM THE TIME THAT THE PRIESTS ENTER IN ORDER TO EAT THEIR TERUMAH
- UNTIL THE END OF THE FIRST WATCH.
- THESE ARE THE WORDS OF RABBI ELIEZER.
- THE SAGES SAY: UNTIL MIDNIGHT.
- RABBAN GAMALIEL SAYS: UNTIL THE DAWN COMES UP...
Speculate about possible reasons for this situation.
You need not limit yourself to strictly halakhic considerations. Take into account possible historical, climatic, psychological or exegetical factors that might have influenced the popular practice.