Selected Topics from: S. Schechter, Aspects of Rabbinic Theology
God and Israel:
The Special Relationship between God and Israel
- Reciprocal / Mutual
- More beloved than angels
- God participates in Israel's suffering, exile and recemption.
- Unconditional status of the relationship (Covenant):
- Not annulled by sin.
- Analogy of parent-child relationship.
- God inflicts punishment as indication of love, not a rejection to covenant.
- Rabbinic criticism of biblical prophets who condemned Israel.
- Dissenting opinion of Rabbi Judah.
- Observance of Commandments viewed as a privilege, not a burden.