Collections/ Ancient World / Baha'i /Bible/ Buddhism / Christianity / Current Events / Islam / Judaism / Other
- Alex: A catalog of electronic texts on the Internet provides author, title and subject access to many electronic texts found on the Internet. Its focus is American and English literature and western philosophy
- Directory of Open Access Books - over 2400 academic peer reviewed books
- European History Primary Sources - guide to texts worldwide - Religion section
- Forgotten Books - over 484,000 books - see Religion section - Can do analysis on word use in the texts in this colleciton
- Gallica - over 1 million texts - produced by the Bibliothèque nationale de France - over 500 dcouments in the religion section
- Hathi Trust - digitized collections of 13 universities. Includes almost 4 million titles of which over 1 million volumes are in the public domain - includes over 25,000 religious studies books
- Internet Archive - the open access text archive includes almost 2,000 texts scanned by Canadian libraries, over 10,000 items in the million books project and over 7,000 items in Project Gutenberg
- Project Gutenberg - over 100,000 public domain texts
- Religion Online - more than 6,000 articles and chapters available fulltext
- Theological Commons - digital library of over 78,000 out of coyright books and periodials on theology and religion, produced by Princeton Theological Seminary Library
- Bibliotheca Augustana - collection of Greek, Latin, German, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Russian, Yiddish, Portuguese and Czech texts
- Dart Europe E-thesis portal
- Digi20 - over 4,000 German monographs in the humanities and social sciences published by Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Wilhelm Fink / Ferdinand Schöningh and Otto Sagner
- Early Canadiana Online - full text of over 3,000 books and pamphlets documenting life in Canada to the late 19th century
- e-corpus - "a collective digital library that catalogs and disseminates numerous documents: manuscripts, archives, books, journals, prints, audio recordings video etc." Focus on the Euro-Mediterranean region and includes virutal library on ancient and modern Egypt, works of Emile Zola, Digital library of Berber archives, boooks and manuscripts, Islamic law.
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online Text Creation Partnership (EEBO-TCP) - 25,000 texts from 18th century including a number relevant to religious studies
- International Cooperation Initiative Online Books Page - if you are from a country with a GDP per capita substantially lower than than the average in USA and European Union you will have free access to these books.
- Judaic Digital Library - texts are not free, but can use the site to search for texts on your topic
- Librivox - audio books in a variety of languages includes some work relevant to the study of religion
- Making of America - 19th century primary sources, particularly strong for religion.
- On-Line Books Page - good index to texts on the internet - can browse by "religion" or can browse by Library of Congress Call numbers
- OAPEN - freely accessible academic books with a focus on the humanities and social sciences - limited selection
- Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago - most of their publications are available open acess - can search collection using the main search box on the top of the page
- Universal Digital Library
- AMAR: Archive of Mesopotamian Archaeological Site Reports
- Ancient World Digital Library - Institute for the Study of the Ancient World at New York University - scholarly material on the ancient world, citations as well as fulltext
- An Analytic Bibliography of On-Line Neo-Latin Texts compiled by Dana Sutton at the University of California, Irvine - " an analytic bibliography of Latin texts written during the Renaissance and later that are freely available to the general public on the Web (texts posted in access-restricted sites, and Web sites offering electronic texts and digitized photograpic reproductions for sale are not included)."
- Ancient Mesopotamia - resources compiled by Ehud Ben Zvi at the University of Alberta
- Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts - digital Greek New Testament Manuscripts and printed books (The Greek New Testament by Tregelles, Novum Testamentum by John Mills, Novum Testamentum by Stephanus, Novum Instrumentun by Erasmus , Die Schriften des neuen Testaments by Hermann Freiherr von Soden and Testamentum Novum by Theodore Beza..
- Cuneiform Digital Library
- Early Christian Literature - BIBL index - Index of Biblical Quotations and Allusions in Early Christian Literature - access is free but need to first create an account . Source: Biblia Patristica published texts and archives
- Interpreting Ancient Manuscripts Web - study of ancient manuscripts upon which the New Testament is based. Greek focus with English transliteration
- Jerome Vita Hilarionis
- Flavius Josephus Home Page - edited by G. J. Goldberg - links to his works in English and in Greek
- Josephus's Works from Project on Ancient Cultural Engagement - parallel English and Greek for The Judean War, The Judean Antiquities, Life of Josephus and Against Apion
- Latin Library
- Leuven Database of Ancient Books - over 11,000 Greek and Latin Literary texts, can search by author, inventory, century, provenance, material. language, culture, religion etc.
- Migne - can search Gallica for available Greek volumes and available Latin volumes
- Online Medieval Sources Bibliography - "This database provides a searchable bibliography of texts.from private letters, wills, and household accounts to literary works, philosophical treatises, chronicles, court proceedings, church records, and a host of other documents.that were written in the Middle Ages and are now available in printed or online editions and translations"
- Oxford Text Archives - contains electronic versions of a number of Greek and Latin works
- Oriental Institute of Chicago - , annual reports are available, digital copies of publications including excavation reports, seminars and latest volumes of dictionaries such as Chicago Assyrian Dictionary and the Chicago Hittite Dictionary are available but are not all are free - see Miscellaneous section for a number of free older reports
- Perseus Digital Library - includes Greek and Roman texts, Papyri, and Boyle's papers
- TLG (Thesaurus Lingua Graeca) - "collected and digitized most literary texts written in Greek from Homer to the fall of Byzantium in AD 1453. Its goal is to create a comprehensive digital library of Greek literature from antiquity to the present era."
- Women's Life in Greece and Rome - legal, public and religious documents
- Biblical Law - Papers from the annual meetings of the Biblical Law section of the Society of Biblical Literature
- iTanakh - peer -reviewed academic articles on various aspects of the Tanakh
- Bodhi Leaf Publications
- Buddhist Publication Society - works on Abhidamma, Buddhist history, Buddhist literature, comparative sutdies, Dhamma, Ethics, Kamma, Meditation, Monastic Life, philosophy , women and Buddhism
- Chinese manuscripts - Imre Glambos (worked for the International Dunhuang Project for 10 years and since 2012 is a lecturer in Pre-modern Chinese Studies at University of Cambridge) presents his research as well as links to sinological resources online
- Digitized Tibetan Archives Material at Bonn university - includes legal documents from the Kundeling Monastry in Tibet and Tibetan Historical Documents and Letters
- International Dunhuang Project Database
- Old Tibetan Documents Online - 7th to 12th centuries - Dunhuang manuscripts, inscriptions
- Publications of the Center for Contemporary Shin Buddhist Studies
- Richard Gombrich Archive - published articles by Gombrich on a Buddhism
- Tibetan and Himalayan Library - religions section
- Tokyo University of Foreign Studies Digital Repository - includes South Asian Resources Digital Archieves (SARDA) - either limit search to SARDA or select "University Library" from community list and then select SARDA
- Wheel Publications (Buddhist Publication Society)
- Alberti Magni e-corpus - searchable database of the works of Albertus Magnus, 13th century philosophy and theologian
- Anglican Church of Canada - council resolutions, Lambeth conference resolutions, official statements
- Church in the Southern Black Community - " "The Church in the Southern Black Community" collects autobiographies, biographies, church documents, sermons, histories, encyclopedias, and other published materials. These texts present a collected history of the way Southern African Americans experienced and transformed Protestant Christianity into the central institution of community life. Coverage begins with white churches' conversion efforts, especially in the post-Revolutionary period, and depicts the tensions and contradictions between the egalitarian potential of evangelical Christianity and the realities of slavery. It focuses, through slave narratives and observations by other African American authors, on how the black community adapted evangelical Christianity, making it a metaphor for freedom, community, and personal survival." - includes Guide to Religious Content in Slave Narrative and list of images by subject
- Chinese Christian Texts Database - " The Chinese Christian Texts Database (CCT-Database) is a research database of primary and secondary sources concerning the cultural contacts between China and Europe in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries (from 1582 to ca. 1840). The cultural contacts comprise documents in the various fields of cultural interaction: religion, philosophy, science, art, etc."
- Cooperative Digital Resources Initiative : Digital resources for the study of religion
- Digital Library of Appalachia - see "Religion and Beliefs"
- Digital Quaker Collection - "DQC is a digital library containing full text and page images of over 500 individual Quaker works from the 17th and 18th centuries."
- Ellen G. White's Writings - can serach and browse in over 50 languages.
- Gifford Lectures - list of lectures and currently full text for lectures up to 1923.
- GlobeTheoLib and GlobeEthics Lib - extensive digitial library of books and journals
- Jewish Roots of Eastern Christian Mysticism - links to a number of documents
- John Howard Yoder Digital Library - Mennonite theologian
- John Wesley's Letters ( SMU Bridwell Library Digital Collections) - scanned and searchable transcriptions of 139 letters.
- John Wesley's Sermons
- Jonathan Edwards Online Project - can search but to view texts need to register
- Joseph Sittler Archives - primarily works by Joseph Sittler
- Labyrinth - Resources for Medieval Studies
- Lonergan Resource - a variety of fulltext resources for Lonergan including back issues of Method: Journal of Lonergan Studies and Lonergan Workshop as well as variety of books, articles and theses on Lonergan.
- Lutheran Legacy - growing collection of historic Lutheran texts by authors such as Johann Gerhard and Johann Meisner
- Making of America - digital library of primary sources in American social history. Strong in the area of religion. Currently includes 1,600 books and 50,000 articles. Can also access through University of Michigan
- Material History of American Religions Project - objects, statistical tables, letters etc.
- Methodist Missionary Society Archives (SOAS Digital Archives) - glass lantern slides have been digitized along with the script that accompanied the slide show
- NTS Library : Online Christian Library of Virtual Theological Resources
- New Testament Manuscripts - list produced by the Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts - note not all are digitally available. Includes lectionaries, papyrus, majuscles, minuscules
- Newton Project - "The Newton Project is a non-profit
organization dedicated to making Sir Issac Newton's unpublished and published works freely available online. Over 4.9 million words are currently available and more are on the way.
- Pentecostal and Charismatic Research Archive - "online digital archive of primary historical materials - correspondence, organizational records, tracts, sermons, diaries, photographs, oral histories - from different regions of the world"
- Post-Reformation Digital Library - " collection of resources relating to the development of theology during the Post-Reformation / Early Modern era (ca. 16th-18th c."
- Reformation texts
- Unitarian Universalism - Meadville Lombard Theological School Library has significant archival holdings for Unitarian Universalism and have digitized over 90,000 pages. Available pamphlets
- Vatican Manuscripts and Incunabula - Includes Arch.Cap. S. Pietro, Barb. gr., Borgh., Pal Lat. and Vat. sir.
- Women's Ordination Conference: A Voice for Women in the Roman Catholic Church - fulltext articles regarding women priests in the Catholic Church
RETURN TO HOME PAGE
You are visitor since July 1, 2000
Maintained by Saundra Lipton (firstname.lastname@example.org)