See also Sacred Texts
- Alex: A catalog of electronic texts on the Internet provides author, title and subject access to many electronic texts found on the Internet. Its focus is American and English literature and western philosophy
- Dart Europe E-thesis portal
- Digi20 - over 4,000 German monographs in the humanities and social sciences published by Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Wilhelm Fink / Ferdinand Schöningh and Otto Sagner
- Early Canadiana Online - full text of over 3,000 books and pamphlets documenting life in Canada to the late 19th century
- e-corpus - "a collective digital library that catalogs and disseminates numerous documents: manuscripts, archives, books, journals, prints, audio recordings video etc." Focus on the Euro-Mediterranean region and includes virutal library on ancient and modern Egypt, works of Emile Zola, Digital library of Berber archives, boooks and manuscripts, Islamic law.
- Gallica - over 1 million texts - produced by the Bibliothèque nationale de France - over 500 dcouments in the religion section
- Hathi Trust - digitized collections of 13 universities. Includes almost 4 million titles of which over 1 million volumes are in the public domain - includes over 25,000 religious studies books
- International Cooperation Initiative Online Books Page - if you are from a country with a GDP per capita substantially lower than than the average in USA and European Union you will have free access to these books.
- Internet Archives - the open access text archive includes almost 2,000 texts scanned by Canadian libraries, over 10,000 items in the million books project and over 7,000 items in Project Gutenberg
- Judaic Digital Library - texts are not free, but can use the site to search for texts on your topic
- Librivox - audio books in a variety of languages includes some work relevant to the study of religion
- Making of America - 19th century primary sources, particularly strong for religion.
- On-Line Books Page - good index to texts on the internet - can browse by "religion"
- Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago - most of their publications are available open acess - can
- Project Gutenberg - over 100,000 public domain texts
- TCP - Text Creation Project - thousands of titles of early English and American imprints ( EEBO- Early English Books Online 1473-1700), ECCO - Eighteenth Century Collections Online (1701-1800) and Evans Digital (American imprings 1639-1800)
- Universal Digital Library
- Anglican Church of Canada - counsil resolutions, Lambeth conference resolutions, official statements
- Church in the Southern Black Community - " "The Church in the Southern Black Community" collects autobiographies, biographies, church documents, sermons, histories, encyclopedias, and other published materials. These texts present a collected history of the way Southern African Americans experienced and transformed Protestant Christianity into the central institution of community life. Coverage begins with white churches' conversion efforts, especially in the post-Revolutionary period, and depicts the tensions and contradictions between the egalitarian potential of evangelical Christianity and the realities of slavery. It focuses, through slave narratives and observations by other African American authors, on how the black community adapted evangelical Christianity, making it a metaphor for freedom, community, and personal survival." - includes Guide to Religious Content in Slave Narrative and list of images by subject
- Chinese Christian Texts Database - " The Chinese Christian Texts Database (CCT-Database) is a research database of primary and secondary sources concerning the cultural contacts between China and Europe in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries (from 1582 to ca. 1840). The cultural contacts comprise documents in the various fields of cultural interaction: religion, philosophy, science, art, etc."
- Digital Library of Appalachia - see "Religion and Beliefs"
- Digital Quaker Collection - "DQC is a digital library containing full text and page images of over 500 individual Quaker works from the 17th and 18th centuries."
- Ellen G. White's Writings - can serach and browse in over 50 languages.
- Gifford Lectures - list of lectures and currently full text for lectures up to 1923.
- Jewish Roots of Eastern Christian Mysticism - links to a number of documents
- John Wesley's Sermons
- Jonathan Edwards Online Project - can search but to view texts need to register
- Joseph Sittler Archives - primarily works by Joseph Sittler
- Lutheran Legacy - growing collection of historic Lutheran texts by authors such as Johann Gerhard and Johann Meisner
- Making of America - digital library of primary sources in American social history. Strong in the area of religion. Currently includes 1,600 books and 50,000 articles. Can also access through University of Michigan
- Material History of American Religions Project - objects, statistical tables, letters etc.
- Post-Reformation Digital Library - " collection of resources relating to the development of theology during the Post-Reformation / Early Modern era (ca. 16th-18th c."
- New Testament Manuscripts - list produced by the Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts - note not all are digitally available. Includes lectionaries, papyrus, majuscles, minuscules
- Newton Project - "The Newton Project is a non-profit
organization dedicated to making his unpublished and published works freely available online. Over 4.9 million words are currently available and more are on the way.
- Pentecostal and Charismatic Research Archive - "online digital archive of primary historical materials - correspondence, organizational records, tracts, sermons, diaries, photographs, oral histories - from different regions of the world"
- Reformation texts
- Religion- Online.org - collection of more than 6,000 articles and chapters which may be downloaded, printed or quoted for education purposes. Site was designed to provide resources for theological colleges.
Greek , Latin and Ancient
- An Analytic Bibliography of On-Line Neo-Latin Texts compiled by Dana Sutton at the University of California, Irvine - " an analytic
bibliography of Latin texts written during the Renaissance and later
that are freely available to the general public on the Web (texts
posted in access-restricted sites, and Web sites offering electronic
texts and digitized photograpic reproductions for sale are not
- Ancient Mesopotamia - resources compiled by Ehud Ben Zvi at the University of Alberta
- Center for Computer Analysis of Texts - Biblical, Early Christianity, Islam, Koresh
- Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts - digital Greek New Testament Manuscripts and printed books (The Greek New Testament by Tregelles, Novum Testamentum by John Mills, Novum Testamentum by Stephanus, Novum Instrumentun by Erasmus , Die Schriften des neuen Testaments by Hermann Freiherr von Soden and Testamentum Novum by Theodore Beza..
- Cuneiform Digital Library
- Interpreting Ancient Manuscripts Web - study of ancient manuscripts upon which the New Testament is based. Greek focus with English transliteration
- Jerome Vita Hilarionis
- Labyrinth - Resources for Medieval Studies
- Latin Library
- Leuven Database of Ancient Books - over 11,000 Greek and Latin Literary texts, can search by author, inventory, century, provenance, material. language, culture, religion etc.
- Migne - can search Gallica for available Greek volumes and available Latin volumes
- Online Medieval Sources Bibliography - "This database provides a searchable bibliography of texts.from private letters, wills, and household accounts to literary works, philosophical treatises, chronicles, court proceedings, church records, and a host of other documents.that were written in the Middle Ages and are now available in printed or online editions and translations"
- Oxford Text Archives - contains electronic versions of a number of Greek and Latin works
- Oriental Institute of Chicago - , annual reports are available, digital copies of publications including excavation reports, seminars and latest volumes of dictionaries such as Chicago Assyrian Dictionary and the Chicago Hittite Dictionary are available but are not all are free - see Miscellaneous section for a number of free older reports
- Perseus Digital Library - includes Greek and Roman texts, Papyri, and Boyle's papers
- Women's Life in Greece and Rome - legal, public and religious documents
RETURN TO HOME PAGE
You are visitor since July 1, 2000
Maintained by Saundra Lipton (email@example.com)