Maintained by Saundra Lipton (email@example.com)
- Artstor Digital Library
CDRI: Digital resources for the study of religion - The Cooperative Digital Resources Initiative of the American Theological Library Association and Association of Theological Schools is a repository of digital resources contributed by member libraries. Includes manuscripts, postcards, woodcuts, coins, maps etc.
- Digital Scriptorium -" image database of medieval and renaissance manuscripts that unites scattered resources from many institutions into an international tool for teaching and scholarly research"
- Getty Search Gateway - over 129,000 photographs, 96,000 Visual Material and 26,000 Vessels and includes over 99,000 open content images
- Goodspeed Manuscript Collection (University of Chicago) - early Greek, Syriac, Ethiopic, Armenian, Arabic and Latin manuscripts from the 5th to 20 centuries
- Image Database of Inscriptions and Artifacts - " The InscriptiFact Project is a database designed to allow access via the
Internet to high-resolution images of ancient inscriptions from the Near
Eastern and Mediterranean Worlds. The target inscriptions are some of the
earliest written records in the world from an array of international museums
and libraries and field projects where inscriptions still remain in situ.
Included are, for example, Dead Sea Scrolls; cuneiform tablets from Mesopotamia
and Canaan; papyri from Egypt; inscriptions on stone from Jordan,
Lebanon and Cyprus; Hebrew, Aramaic, Ammonite and Edomite inscriptions
on a variety of hard media (e.g., clay sherds, copper,
semi-precious stones, jar handles); and Egyptian scarabs.
These ancient texts represent religious and historical documents that serve
for Judaism, Christianity, Islam and the cultures out of which they emerged."
- Israel Antiquities Authority : Scientific Archive 1919-1948 - texts, images and maps of Jerusalem and Acre sites as well from the Survey of Western Palestine 1880.
- Library and Archival Exhibitions on the Web- links to over 2,900 online exhibits. Can browse by exhibit or search by name, institution or subject terms.
- Heritage Image Partnership (Images from a variety of institutions) - need to create an account to view images
- New York Public Library Digital Library - over 300,000 images of prints, illuminated manuscripts, photographs, maps, postcards etc.
- Visual Information Access (Harvard)
Ancient Near East Studies
Art and the Bible - images of famous works of art based on stories in the Bible. Links to Biblical texts are included
Biblia Sacra - information and reproductions of bibles printed in the Netherlands and Belgium.
- Anno Domini: Jesus Through the Centuries - viritual exhibit by the Provincial Museum of Alberta
- Art and the Bible - can view biblical images by artist's name. Images are linked to the biblical text.
- Art in the Christian Tradition - " The Art in the Christian Tradition (ACT) database is a freely available, regularly updated visual image internet resource. Designed for scholars, students, pastors, and religious educators, all of the images may be used for educational and/or religious non-profit purposes. Images are added regularly. There are currently 4216 images in the collection."
- Baptisteria Sacra: An Iconographic Index of Baptismal Fonts
- Biblia Sacra - information and reproductions of bibles printed in the Netherlands and Belgium.
- Catalogue of Digitzed Medieval Manuscripts - can search by date, provenance, language, text, repository, author and browse by location, shelfmark, author, title, language - ceased being updated in 2013.
- Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts
- Christus Rex
This page has many religious images including the Sistine Chapel. Christus Rex is a "private, non-profit organizaiton which presents over 5,000 images of religious works of art preserved in churches, cathedrals and monasteries around the world".
- Codices Electronici Ecclesiae Coloniensis - digitized medieval manuscripts from the Cologne Cathedral Library
- Gutenberg Bible - searchable file of page images
- History and Art in the coats of arms of the Popes
- Illuminated Manuscript Images from the Bodleian Library
- Internet Mission Photography Archive -" The Internet Mission Photography Archive offers historical images from Protestant and Catholic missionary collections in Britain, Norway, Germany, and the United States. The photographs, which range in time from the middle of the nineteenth to the middle of the twentieth century, offer a visual record of missionary activities and experiences in Africa, China, Madagascar, India, Papua-New Guinea, and the Caribbean. The photographs reveal the physical influence of missions, visible in mission compounds, churches, and school buildings, as well as the cultural impact of mission teaching, religious practices, and Western technology and fashions. Indigenous peoples' responses to missions and the emergence of indigenous churches are represented, as are views of landscapes, cities, and towns before and in the early stages of modern development."
- Kunera - Database of Medieval Pilgrimage Art - includes over 13,000 images with accompanying information including links to books and articles
- Richard C. Kessler Reformation Collection ( Pitts Theological Library Digital Archive) - focus on Lutheran material
- Medieval Art and Architecture Images
- Medieval Illuminated Manuscripts ( Koninklijke Bibliotheek) - you can borwse by subject or keyword search this major collection
- Medieval Manuscripts from the Pierpont Morgan Library - limit search to "medieval images only"
- Methodist Missionary Society Archives (SOAS Digital Archives) - glass lantern slides of missionary word in Europe, North America, West Indies, Africa, India, Ceylon, China, Burma and Australasia have been digitized along with the script that accompanied the slide show
- Monastic Matrix - images from this"scholarly resource for the study of women's religious communities from 400 to 1600 CE"
- Morgan Library - major collection of images of medieval and renaissance manuscripts
- Mission Churches of the Sonoran Desert
- Okeanos: Biblical, Classical and Ancient Near Eastern Studies - note particularly the museums section
- Online Icons
- Orthodox Icons
- Palace of Diocletian at Split
- Pilgerzeichendatenbank - database of Eurpean Middle Ages pilgrims badges
- Pitts Theology Library Digital Image Archive - The Digital Image Archive presents more than 28,000 images of biblical
illustrations, portraits of religious leaders, printers' devices,
engravings of church buildings, and other theological topics. They are
available for teaching, research, and other non-commercial purposes.
- Vatican Exhibit
- Yale Divinity Digital Image and Text Library - includes the EIKON Image Database for Biblical Studies and the AdHoc Image and Text Database on the History of Christianity
- The Bezalel Narkiss Index of Jewish Art - 19,830 images and 2668 objects for Jewish ritual, architecture, manuscripts, ritual objects and funerary art
- British Library Hebrew Collections - 1300 have been digitised - uses the < a href="http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/"> British Library Digitised Manuscripts to locate these. See The Polonsky Foundation Catalogue of Digitised Hebrew Manuscripts for information out this collection.
- Cairo Genizah (Taylor-Schechter Cairo Genizah Collection and the Jacques Mosseri Genizah Collection at Cambridge University Library ) - over 12,000 manuscripts including letters, egal deeds, liturgical texts
- The Center for Jewish Art Collection - over 200,000 digital items
- Dalsheimer Rare Book Exhibit from the Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati - features, music, bookplates, manuscripts, maps etc
- From written to printed text: the transmission of Jewish tradition - Center for Judaic Studies at Penn
- Jerusalem 3000 exhibit (Osher Map Library) - images of maps
- Jewish Museum (New York) - select images from their collection
- Ketubbot - digital collection of over 4200 ketubbot from the National Library of Israel's collection
- Leon Levy Dead Sea Scrolls Digital Library
- Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary Digital Collections - includes Ketubot, wedding poems, pamphets (including sermons, lectures and reports), clippings, portraits etc. Limit "search scope" to digital collections
- Material Culture of the Ancient Canaanites, Israelites and Related Peoples: An Information Database from Excavations
- Yale University exhibits Great assemblage: an exhibit of Judaica / The Passover Haggadah in the Yale University Library Collections
- Second Temple Synagogues - an excellent site contains information on Second Temple Synagogues as well as an image gallery
- Simon Wiesenthal Center Digital Archives - photographs, manuscripts, letters
- Visual Memory - historical photographs of Palestine-Israel
- Yad Vashem Photo Archive
You are visitor since July 1, 2000
RETURN TO HOME PAGE
Maintained by Saundra Lipton (firstname.lastname@example.org)