Located in the centre of Swann Mall, outside of the Registrars
Affectionately known as The Prairie Chicken
by the students, this sculpture has become almost synonymous with
The University of Calgary. It has graced several publications
and forms part of the logo of the Alumni Association.
Donated to the University by Internationally known Saskatchewan
artist John Nugent, the sculpture is installed on the east part
of Swan Mall between the Administration and Science buildings
The Garden of Learning, 1996
Located at the south end of Swann Mall, near the Professional
Commissioned with funds donated by Robin and Fred Terentiuk, The
three forms of the sculpture are symbolic of the University itself;
the roots, cradle and tree of knowledge.
See other works by this artist in the Engineering Building, the
Science Theatre Comlex and in the permanent collection at The
Nickle Arts Museum.
Mark V. Marshall
The Calgary Herald Gargoyles, 1913
Located in the Science 'B' courtyard
These gargoyles were produced by the craftsmen of Royal Doulton
in England and once graced the facade of the Calgary Herald Building
(demolished in 1972). The gargoyles are caricatures of the newspaper
staff of the time as well as more traditional fantastic figures.