Aesop Prize Winners
The Children's Folklore Section of the American Folklore Society.
Awarded to the most outstanding book or books incorporating folklore and published in English for children or young adults. The Aesop Prize committee also compiles an extremely useful Aesop Accolade List, an annual roster of exceptional books from among Aesop Prize nominees. See the Criteria for this award.
1997 Aesop Prize Winners:
- The Hired Hand: An African-American Folktale. Text by Robert D. San Souci. Illustrations by Jerry Pinkney. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1997.
- Earth Tales From Around the World. Text by Michael J. Caduto. Illustrations by Adelaide Murphy Tyrol. Fulcrum Publishing, 1997.
1996 Aesop Prize Winners:
- Next Year in Jerusalem. Retold by Howard Schwartz and illustrated by Neil Waldman. NY: Viking, 1996.
- Nursery Tales Around the World. Retold by Judy Sierra and illustrated by Stefano Vitale. NY: Clarion Books, 1996.
1995 Aesop Prize Winner:
- Fair is Fair: World Folktales of Justice, by Sharon Creeden. Little Rock, Arkansas: August House Publishers, 1994.
1994 Aesop Prize Winner:
- John Henry. Retold by Julius Lester. Illustrated by Jerry Pinkney. New York: Dial Books, 1994.
Back to the Children's Literature Awards Page
Friday, November 21, 1997
Copyright © 1994-97 David K. Brown. All rights reserved
The Children's Literature Web Guide