Sample Text: Megillah 24a
"The one who concludes with the reading from the Prophets may also lead the responsive reading of the 'Shema.' He also passes before the ark ,
- if he is a Priest,
- "he lifts his hands."
- "What is the reason? Rav Pappa says: On account of the honour. Rava bar Shimi says: Because of quarrels."
- I.e., we are afraid that they might argue: I conclude with the reading from the Prophets while this one gets to lead the responsive reading of the Shema! Is he so much more important than I am that he should receive the payment?
For this reason they ordained that the one who concludes [with the reading from the Prophets] should also be the one who leads the responsive reading of the Shema, to pass before the ark, etc.
- ["Where he did it gratis"
- then it is only on account of the honour]. And they do not do it gratis unless it is for the sake of the honour. But they do not quarrel over it unless the person who leads the responsive reading of the Shema and the one who passes before the ark receive payment.
- "And if he"
- the one who concludes with the reading from the Prophets
- "is a minor"
- who is not fit to pass before the ark or to lift his hands,
- "then his father or his teacher passes in his stead"
- Since otherwise his teacher might be provoked to quarrel.
If you are not already doing so, click here to view this text in a hyperlinked context.
Return to the Talmud Page Image Map