SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein (S) gene S:p.D80A;D215G;L242del;K417N;E484K;N501Y;D614G literature reference collection
Antibody epitope effects
- Anti-NTD CV1 mAb isolated from an early pandemic case was unable to neutralize either partial B.1.351 variant pseudovirus used (A701V or L242del).
The neutralization potency of mAb CV30, which contacts K417 and N501 but not E484, was ~10-fold weaker toward both B.1.351 variants. The neutralization potency of anti-RBD mAb CV3-1 was 3-4-fold less potent against the B.1.351 variants, while anti-RBD mAb CV2-75 was modestly less effective.
(Stamatatos et al. (2021))
Convalescent plasma escape
- Using convalescent sera from 15 early pandemic patients (Seattle Flu Study), mean 220 days post symptom onset (IQR 125-269, and three asymptomatic cases) with 27% WHO disease severity scale 3, 7 of 15 neutralized this B.1.351 pseudotype that includes the L242del, and only one had titers above 100.
Only one of the 15 sera achieved 80% neutralization. [compare to 5 and 1 for pseudotype without the deletion] (Stamatatos et al. (2021))
Vaccine neutralization efficacy
- In an Ontario long term care facility, cumulatively, weaker BNT162b2 vaccine stimulation, age/comorbidities, produced a ∼130-fold reduction in apparent neutralization titers in mean 88yo LTCH residents against Beta (B.1.351), relative to staff vaccinees against D614G wild type.
37.9% of 116 two-dose-mRNA-vaccinated residents had undetectable neutralizing antibodies to B.1.351. mRNA-1273 vaccinee sera displayed ~2 better neutralization than BNT162b2. [common defining B.1.351 mutations noted, as the manuscript does not provide details] (Abe et al. (2021))
- Pseudotyped viruses for B.1.351 was 3.4-fold resistant to neutralization by 6 BNT162b2 vaccine sera 28 days post-booster compared to wild type.
Neutralization by 3 Moderna vaccine sera 28 days post-booster was 2.2-fold resistant. [Exact list of B.1.351 mutations used in these assays was not included in the preprint] (Tada et al. (2021))
- Detectable antibodies against B.1.351 at various time points using pseudotyped lentivirus neutralization in Moderna vaccinee cohort: Day 29 8%, Day 43 100%, Day 119 71%, Day 209 54%.
Detectable antibodies against B.1.351 at various time points using live virus FRNT neutralization in Moderna vaccinee cohort: Day 29 8%, Day 43 100%, Day 119 79%, Day 209 58%. Detectable antibodies against B.1.351 at various time points using ACE2 blocking assay in Moderna vaccinee cohort: Day 29 63%, Day 43 100%, Day 119 71%, Day 209 79%.
Decreased neutralization on some assays was seen especially in those vaccinees tested that were 71+. (Pegu et al (2021))
- In sera collected from 15 early pandemic patients (Seattle Flu Study), mean 16 days post first dose with either Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccines, the median ID50 titers were ~10-fold lower against this B.1.351 pseudotyped virus relative to wild type. A single asymptomatic patient, who had no detectable RBD-specific IgG memory before vaccination, also did not elicit nAbs against the B.1.351 variant. [compare to ~3 fold without the deletion] ID50 titres in non-infected mRNA vaccines more than two weeks post-booster were significant, but ~500x weaker than in previously infected patients after first dose.
(Stamatatos et al. (2021))
Automatically generated using text2ui script and data from Pokay