Papers on Economics of Energy & Resource Markets
This is a listing of my papers on energy and natural resources.
- A. De Vany and W. D. Walls. "Pipeline access and market
integration in the natural gas industry: Evidence from cointegration
tests." The Energy Journal,
- W. D. Walls. "Competition, prices, and efficiency in the
deregulated gas pipeline network: A multivariate cointegration
analysis." Journal of Energy
and Development, 1993.
- W. D. Walls. "A note on the natural gas futures
market." Pacific and Asian
Journal of Energy, 1993.
- W. D. Walls. "A cointegration rank test of market
linkages with an application to the US natural gas industry." Review of Industrial Organization,
- A. De Vany and W. D. Walls. "Open access and the
emergence of a competitive natural gas market." Contemporary
Economic Policy, 1994. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1465-7287.1994.tb00425.x
- A. De Vany and W. D. Walls. "Natural gas industry
transformation, competitive institutions and the role of
regulation: Lessons from open access in US natural gas
markets." Energy Policy,
- W. D. Walls. "Price convergence across natural gas fields
and city markets." The Energy
Journal, 1994. http://ideas.repec.org/a/aen/journl/1994v15-04-a03.html
- A. De Vany and W. D. Walls. "Network connectivity and
price convergence: Gas pipeline deregulation." Research in
Transportation Economics, 1994.
- W. D. Walls. "An econometric analysis of the market for
natural gas futures." The
Energy Journal, 1995. http://ideas.repec.org/a/aen/journl/1995v16-01-a05.html
- A. De Vany and W. D. Walls. The Emerging New Order in
Natural Gas: Markets versus Regulation. Quorum Books, 1995. http://www.greenwood.com/books/printFlyer.aspx?sku=Q944
- W. D. Walls. "Vehicle controls and petrol demand in Hong
Kong." Journal of Energy and
Development, 1996. [Preprint version of paper.]
- A. De Vany and W. D. Walls. "The law of one price in a
network: Arbitrage and price dynamics in natural gas city gate
markets." Journal of Regional
Science, 1996. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9787.1996.tb01118.x
- W. D. Walls. "Recent developments in Hong Kong's water
heating and cooking fuel market." Energy
- W. D. Walls. "Take-or-pay contracts and efficiency." Asian Economic Review,
- W. D. Walls. "Energy policy and energy price
& Exploitation, 1998.
- A. De Vany and W. D. Walls. "Price dynamics in a network
of decentralized power markets." Journal
of Regulatory Economics,
- W. D. Walls. "Volatility, volume, and maturity in
electricity futures." Applied
Financial Economics, 1999. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/096031099332357
- F. Rusco and W. D. Walls. "Competition in a repeated
spatial auction market with an application to timber sales." Journal of Regional Science,
- A. De Vany and W. D. Walls. "Cointegration analysis of
spot electricity prices: Insights on transmission efficiency in the
western US." Energy Economics,
- C. Bausell, F. Rusco, and W. D. Walls. "Lifting the
Alaskan oil export ban: An intervention analysis." The Energy
Journal, 2001. http://ideas.repec.org/a/aen/journl/2001v22-04-a04.html
- W. D. Walls, editor. Regional
Transmission Organizations: Restructuring Electricity Transmission in
Canada. The Van Horne Institute, Calgary, 2003.
- W. D. Walls and W. Zhang. "Using extreme value theory to
model electricity price risk with an application to the Alberta power
market." Energy Exploration
& Exploitation, 2005. http://dx.doi.org/10.1260/014459805775992690
- W. D. Walls, editor. Research
in Energy and Transport Markets. The Van Horne Institute, Calgary, 2005.
- W. D. Walls and L. Yuan. "Property rights, labour policy,
and worker safety in China's coal mining industry." In P. Huang, Y. Wang, S. Li, C. Zheng and Z. Mao, editors, Progress in Safety Science and Technology,
Science Press, New York, Volume V, pp. 1502-1506, 2006.
- W. Schrade and W. D. Walls. "Holding companies, market
liquidity, and the development of the electric power industry." Journal of Energy and Development, 32(1):1-14, Autumn 2006.
- W. D. Walls and A. Hollis, editors. The Alberta Power Market. The Van
Horne Institute, Calgary, 2007.
- W. D. Walls and F. Rusco. "Price effects of boutique motor
fuels: Federal environmental
standards, regional fuel choices, and local gasoline
prices." The Energy
Journal, 28(3):145-163, July 2007. http://ideas.repec.org/a/aen/journl/2007v28-03-a08.html
- W. D. Walls, F. Rusco, and J. Ludwigson. "Power plant
investment in restructured markets." ENERGY---The International Journal,
32(8):1403-1413, August 2007. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2006.11.002
- W. D. Walls. "Energy industry." In W. Darity, editor, International
Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, second edition, Macmillan
Reference USA, New York, pp. 588-591, 2008.
- F. Rusco and W. D. Walls. "Per-unit bidding rules and
buyer under-performance in natural resource sales." Applied
Economics Letters, 15(2):79-83, February 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13504850600705901
- W. D. Walls. "Natural gas and electricity markets." In L. Hunt and J. Evans, editors, International Handbook on the Economics of Energy, Chapter 20, pp. 456-470, Edward Elgar, 2009. http://www.e-elgar.co.uk/Bookentry_main.lasso?id=12764
- W. D. Walls. "Petroleum refining industry in China." Energy Policy, 38(5):2110-2115, May 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2009.06.002
Kendix and W. D. Walls. "Oil industry consolidation and
refined product prices: Evidence from US gasoline terminals." Energy Policy, 38(7):3498-3507, July 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2010.02.023
Kendix and W. D. Walls. "Estimating the impact of refinery
outages on petroleum product prices." Energy Economics, 32(6):1291-1298, November 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2010.05.016
Kendix, F. Rusco and W. D. Walls. "Biofuels policy and the US market
for motor fuels: Empirical analysis of ethanol splashing."
Energy Policy, 39(7):3999-4006, July 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2010.12.045
Leung, R. Li and W. D. Walls. "Transitions in the Chinese market
for refined petroleum products." OPEC Energy Review, 36(3):349-373, September 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-0237.2012.00215.x
Zavaleta, W. D. Walls and F. W. Rusco. "Refining for export and
the convergence of petroleum product prices." Energy Economics, 47:206-214, January 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2014.11.007
- W. D. Walls and X. Zheng. "Shale oil boom and the profitability of U.S. petroleum refiners." OPEC Energy Review, 40(4):337--353, December 2016. https://doi.org/10.1111/opec.12089
- W. D. Walls and X. Zheng.. "Pipeline capacity rationing and crude oil
price differentials: The case of western Canada." The Energy Journal, 41(1): forthcoming January 2020..
- W. D. Walls and A. During. "Presidential amnesty and Nigerian oil
production: A disaggregate econometric analysis." OPEC Energy Review, forthcoming.
D. Walls and X. Zheng. "Environmental regulation and safety
outcomes: Evidence from Canadian energy pipelines." Working paper, July 2019.
- W. D. Walls and X. Zheng. "Fracking and structural shifts in oil supply." Working paper, revised August 2019.
- W. D. Walls and L. Yuan. "Pipeline interconnection and tariff competition ." In progress.
homepage of W